Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Interview with Monica James, author of ~I Surrender~

Monica James spent her youth devouring the works of Anne Rice, William Shakespeare and Emily Dickinson. Listening to the likes of Elvis to Fiona Apple and everything in between has been her inspirational tool to write. Her varied musical and literary tastes have shaped her into the writer she has become. Monica partook in extra Literature and Writing studies in High School. She studied a Bachelor of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences at La Trobe University Victoria, Australia, majoring in Philosophy and Cinema Studies for three years. When she is not writing she is running her own business, but always finds a balance between the two. Monica enjoys reading honest, heartfelt and turbulent stories that leave an imprint on her. She put pen to paper because she wanted to write a book that she would want to read. She draws inspiration from her surroundings, hopeful others enjoy reading about the world as she sees it.
Tell us something about you. What means writing for you?

Well, I am a humbled girl from Australia, who is incredibly grateful to be doing an interview with someone halfway across the world. I studied Philosophy and Literature at University and I loved it. I loved reading the philosophies of Aristotle, Plato and Nietzsche because their writings are simply beautiful. So I guess in a way, these philosophers inspired me to follow my dream, and take a chance to start writing seriously. 
Writing means everything to me- corny, but true. And I truly feel so blessed because it comes naturally to me, and I can think of nothing better than getting lost in my stories. I have always written, and whether it is in the form of quotes or poems or novels, I just love how you can express what is going on in your head by putting pen to paper. 

Were you scared about people's reaction when they read your book for the first time?

I was petrified! Reading is so subjective, which is what I love about it! But when it comes to your own work, it’s a whole different ballgame! I was excited to share Jasper and Ava with the world, but as soon as the arc’s were sent out, I went into meltdown mode. I am so grateful to my readers, and I just love seeing Jasper and Ava through their eyes when I chat to them, or read reviews-it’s just surreal. 

Who is your favorite author and which is your favorite book? Can you recommend us a book?

I have so many it is actually beyond ridiculous. I love the classics though, so works by William Shakespeare, Jane Austen and Charles Dickens are works I revisit often.  But if I am in the mood for a bit of horror, I love reading Anne Rice and Poppy Z Brite. And then of course I love all the amazing talented authors such as Colleen Hoover, Tammara Webber, S.C Stephens, Jessica Sorensen, Sylvia Day, Gena Showalter etc. 
But if I had to choose one; it would be Dr. Seuss lol
Recommend a book... gee, that’s hard. At the moment I really love anything by Gena Showalter. 

Tell us something about your book, I Surrender. How would you describe it?

I love this question. I wanted I Surrender to be real and raw. I didn’t want it to boy meets girl, they fall in love by page 50, and live happily ever after, because that’s not how life is. Life is challenging, and sometimes it just stinks. But all the obstacles we overcome make us better people, and I see every situation, whether good or bad, as a learning experience. 
I Surrender is my explanation on the philosophy of life and love, pleasure and pain, and how they all intertwine so closely, that sometimes, the line blurs between them.  I want my readers to love and hate, cry and laugh, curse and praise my characters, just as they would real people. I hope to take them on an emotional rollercoaster, and at the end of it, be breathless for more. 

Is it hard being an author?

Some days it is, but most, it’s not. I love getting in my zone, and creating a story that one day, the world may get to read. I love the challenge writing presents, and it’s such a reward to hear people raving, and sometimes ranting about your work. My dreams have come true because of amazing people all over the world welcoming my characters into their homes.

Which book do you wish you could have written?

That’s a good question. I don’t know LOL... 

If you were a supernatural creature, which creature would you be?

Definitely a vampire. The reason being, I write all night, and sleep all day, so technically I have some aspects of the vampire lifestyle. The whole not staying in the sun thing would be an issue, so maybe I could be some hybrid breed that could go out in the daytime, not have to drink blood, but I still could live forever! The vampires in J.R. Ward’s books are amazing, so I want to be one of them :)

Does music inspire you? What kind of music do you like to listen?

I like to write while listening to music, as music in most circumstances helps me get into a certain frame, and allows me to get lost in my writing. I listen to certain artists/songs, sometimes on a loop to help me get into the ‘zone’. 
If the song I am listening to helps me draw out inspiration for a certain scene/character etc, then I will listen to it continuously until I have figured out what about that particular song has drawn me in.
I listen to anything! At the moment I am really into The Killers. 

Do you have another project in your mind?

Yes, I do. I am in the process of writing something new and fresh, and I really can’t wait to share it with you!

Would you like to say something to your readers?

You guys mean everything to me. Without you all, I wouldn’t be where I am now. It’s because of your enthusiasm and loyalty that I am able to do what I love, and for that, I will forever be grateful to each and every one of you. And the only way I can repay you, is to continue writing stories I hope you will love. 
Thanks for this. It was fun x

What do you think guys? I just love her answers <3 Don't forget to add I Surrender on Goodreads!
Thanks for stopping by! You're the best!

No comments: